others may have wine, i have poetry

We don't read and write poetry because it's cute.

We read and write poetry because we are members of the human race.

And the human race is filled with passion.

And medicine, law, business, engineering, these are noble pursuits and necessary to sustain life.

But poetry, beauty, romance, love, these are what we stay alive for.

Dead Poet's Society

Thursday, March 5, 2009

Dark but not down

I'm dark

I'm Daring
I'm Affectionate
I'm Resplendent
I'm Kind

I'm dark, just like the inky sky
Maybe not seen in the day
But with moon and stars that shine
At night and make a sight- divine

I'm dark, like the ebony coal
To spread warmth, I enkindle my soul
But that's just one part of me
One day a glittering diamond I'll be

I'm dark like soil - the elixir
Both birth and death, I nurture
I'm the crux of all existence
And core of human subsistence

I'm dark like the vortex of fire
I'm dark like words that inspire
I'm dark like luscious black hair
I'm dark like life that’s not 'fair'

I'm dark, I'm filled with light inside
I'm dark and in it I take pride
If I weren't dark what would I be?
If I weren't dark I wouldn't be me..



P.S I wrote this from the point of view of somebody else

4 comments:

lavina said...

it the bestestest! :)

Ps: i haven't heard of a word like that though :)

supernova said...

this has to be the first 'dark' poem dt doesn't have a negative connotation. It's more lyk justifying an innate persona.

i lurved it.....

bt resplendent ... u conceited bitch.. lol..jus kidding ; i'm glad u're admitting it these days.

n one more thing , its gonna take lyk thousands and thousands of years and lots of pressure and da rite temp conditions b4 coal is metamorphosed into diamond..
does that mean itz gonna take u lyk forever to move out of ur dark side..?

Nithya said...

@ lavina- no i don't think a word like that exists but thanks anyway

@vino - didn't you read the p.s ?that i wrote it from someone else's point of view?..more specifically a "dark" skinned person's who is often prejudiced in this superficial world of ours. Stop reading in between the lines

Manasa. K .Kumar said...

Has a 'dark' feel to it. * You must be screaming in your head that thats what you were trying to convey ?!* Lol.

Its really dark. Like mocha. Like chocolate. Like black.
Okay I'll just get to the point. Its really nice :)