others may have wine, i have poetry

We don't read and write poetry because it's cute.

We read and write poetry because we are members of the human race.

And the human race is filled with passion.

And medicine, law, business, engineering, these are noble pursuits and necessary to sustain life.

But poetry, beauty, romance, love, these are what we stay alive for.

Dead Poet's Society

Thursday, December 2, 2010

the temple

Footwear. Footsteps.
Loud bells .Rhythmic chants
Bare feet on the ground
Last night's rain.
Prayers. Banter.
Hands on hearts.

Fresh flowers - jasmine
Jasmine. White.
White. Jasmine.
A gift I can never give
Because you'll never take.

Sandalwood, kumkum, viboothi.
Kumkum. Red.
Red. Kumkum.
A gift I can never give
Because you'll never take

Viboothi. Grey. Ashes.
Ashes. Grey. Viboothi.
The only thing you'll accept
and smear on your forehead.
GREY WHERE RED USED TO BE.

I can make you smile
but I can't bear the tears
that come along

A place you love so much.
A place that gives you peace
Reminds me of everything
that once used to be

I don't want to go to the temple ma.

11 comments:

Nrithya said...

It's lovely. So picturesque. And I can so relate.

indi said...

I'll reserve my comments for our next meeting :) I like your concept, though.

Ashwin said...

widow

Manasa. K .Kumar said...

I can totally connect. It's somehow, a part of my life too. I hate going to temples.It seems like an empty place now..

Nithya said...

@Nrithya and Manasa - love you guys..
@Ashwin - that..or mom..

Anonymous said...

poignant.

Vinothini said...

This is lovely. Your mom made me read this when u were not at home.
It just reminded me of ur forthright poetry. I'm reading a few of your old ones now :D

Nithya said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Nithya said...

@Ashes - do you write under Ashwin and Ashes?..and thank you..just being honest..blatant mom would say

@Vino - hello there..thank you for taking time out to read my blog again. Whats yours called now?

Anonymous said...

@Nithya: yes. both ashes and Ashwin are me. some problem with logging in while commenting.
i like the intent in your writing.

Nithya said...

Intent - in both theatre and poetry is a word I don't understand..