others may have wine, i have poetry

We don't read and write poetry because it's cute.

We read and write poetry because we are members of the human race.

And the human race is filled with passion.

And medicine, law, business, engineering, these are noble pursuits and necessary to sustain life.

But poetry, beauty, romance, love, these are what we stay alive for.

Dead Poet's Society

Thursday, December 4, 2008

alone..but not afraid

i've cut myself away from the world
not because i don't belong
but i no longer want to

we were very different leaves
but atleast we belonged to the same tree
have i detatched myself and flown away?
or have the others gone
and only i remain?


i don't understand anything anymore
why they laugh or why they cry
why they fail or why they try
i can't sympathise
or empathise with anyone
i can no longer laugh with or laugh at
i just can't mock or tease
or love or hate the same way
my feelings are not yours
they acquire a whole new
realm and reason in my world
my world...i'm not sure who is in there anymore
there is me and i think that is all there is

so much like yours
and so much not
so much more deeper
so much more shallow
a smile doesn't mean joy
tears don't mean sorrow

hope doesn't leave me hopeful
inspiration is just a word
anger and action aren't different
a pen just as good as a sword

i don't try to be like you
i know i never will
amidst so much activity
i've tried so hard to be still

this isn't a realisation
no it isn't an epiphany
i'm neither shocked nor surprised
to find myself alone
i've never been at peace anyway
there is no place i call home

1 comment:

Juhi said...

My God. That was the most amazing piece of poetry Ive read.
Believe me. I don't have too many words to describe it.